Wednesday, February 10, 2010

February 8th class reading and discussion

1. How does the philosophy of your employer's organization differ from your own?

Timpanogos Regional Hospital mission statement and vision is: Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life. In recognition of this commitment, we strive to deliver high quality, cost effective healthcare. Timpanogos Regional Hospitals values are: Commitment to patients through compassionate care, clinical excellence, continuous improvement, and cost efficiency.

For the most part I agree with this philosophy. The only part that I sometimes have a hard time with is the cost efficiency. I feel like sometimes there is too much emphasis in this area and patient care suffers. Nurse staffing for example seems to be one of the first things cut back on. When nurse staffing is cut back the patient to nures ratio is higher and nurses have less time with each patient. Patients often interperate this as being less compassionate and caring which defeats the other value of compassionate care.

2. How is your employer's philosophy the same as your?

The parts Timpanogos Regional Hosptials philosophy that is the same as mine is the commitment to the care and improvement of human life, compassionate care, clinical excellence, and continuous improvement. As an Registered Nurse at Timpanogos Hospital I strive to always give compassionate care to all of my patients. I also strive to make improvements in my nursing practice by seeking advice from mentors and participating in educational opportunities when even I can.

3. Where are the areas of conflict and how do you resolve them?

As stated earlier the area of conflict for me comes when cost efficiency involves nurse stafing. On my unit we are working with our nurse manager reguarding this issue by offer suggestion for her to consider. We will see how it turns out in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment