Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Clinical hours 2/11/10 1300-1430 and 1700-0230

WHAT: From 1300-1430 I attended a meeting with my manager and other RN's who will be teaching at the skills labs

SO WHAT: We discussed how to organize the day including how much time would be avaiable for each station. We rescheduled the days for the skills labs. The new days will give the manager time to schedule each RN and education day to attend the skills lab, this will hopfully maximize attendance. The new days will also give those teaching more time to prepare.

NOW WHAT: Now I have more time to do more research and prepare more. I also feel better about how the skills lab day will be presented.

1700-0230

WHAT: I returned to clinicals to meet with my instructor and mentor. I also did an experiment on the PCA pump to determine how long the pump will infuse before it resets. I also did some research for my project. By 0230 I was tired and the hospital had quieted down so Deb sent me home.

SO WHAT: The clinical objective learned was delegating. The PCA pump experiment was delegated to me. By delegating this task to me the supervisor was able to attend to other needs. The ability to delegate is an important skill to have as a supervisor. When someone takes on too many task they usually do not get accomplished to the maximum benefit.

NOW WHAT: I will work on my delegation skills. I do not use my CNA's like I could mostly because I enjoy patient care for example getting the ice water, warming heat packs, offering snacks, ets. When I do all of these things instead of asking my CNA to help I usually get behind on my charting, which is my least favorite part of nursing, therefore my charting is usually not as good as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment